Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Fall Adventure

We spent last weekend at a rustic island resort on the Skagit River by Marblemount, WA.


With the increasing precipitation, and decreasing daylight and temperatures, taking a bike trip seemed like the best use of the last weekend in September. So, we loaded our bikes with camping and fishing gear and headed East. Friday afternoon was quite beautiful, and I felt lucky to be traveling up the Cascade Trail.


Less than a mile outside of the one and only Concrete, WA Matt broke 3 spokes. Unfortunately (and quite obviously) this ended the bicycle leg of our journey. The final leg, and trip home, involved riding in a car. Neither of us had done so since early-mid July, and it was a bit sad to end our car-free streak. This is really another topic for another time, but I will say that 60 mph felt unbelievably fast, and frankly a bit terrifying.


However, one part of our mission was a great success. Matt caught a big old fish, and it has subsequently been smoked and eaten (with generous amounts of cream cheese).  


My pops (a master angler and fish smoker) gave us some excellent smoking tips that resulted in some delicious fish. In my less mature days I would complain that I did not like the smell his fish smoking generated.  I also used to call him a fish-murderer. It's not very flattering to own my kvetching, but I suppose these things always come full circle. Sorry Pops!

No comments:

Post a Comment