Sunday, December 13, 2015

The Holidays

I spent Thanksgiving weekend in Seattle. I had three whole days off from work-- the most downtime I've had since a somewhat strange confluence of life and work intensity began. I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself for the weekend. I didn't have the energy to get to my parent's house and back, staying home didn't seem quite right, and neither did the Orcas Island retreat I'd started to plan for myself (somehow it seemed like I should be with people, not deer).

Thanksgiving Day proper was spent with my sister. It was low-key in a way that maybe only family can offer. We ate our Thanksgiving feast while watching hour 3-ish of 6-ish of the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice-- a somewhat odd (but beloved) family tradition. I'm really not the best at holidays. Usually I'm happy enough to eat a good meal for Thanksgiving, attempt to skip over Christmas, and maybe make latkes somewhere in the Hannukah range of dates. This year I'm particularly eager to just get past it all, though I somehow find myself writing from between a lit Christmas tree and a lit menorah. I'm craving the light, I guess.

In the Solstice and Festivus spirit, I want to express my deep gratitude to the good people who have been there for me... cared for me, encouraged me, reassured me, and listened to me during this season of change. I'm very lucky to have family and friends with whom I feel so loved and known. Something else has happened too though, I've experienced so much genuine support and kindness from unexpected people and in surprising places-- a good lesson for my psyche on the general goodness of people in this nutty, nutty world.

Thank you. Happy Whatever, and Happy New Year... I'm looking forward to the return of light.  



No comments:

Post a Comment