Monday, February 11, 2013

It's Like Riding a Bike...


While I was pregnant I managed to (carefully) ride my bike quite a bit until my center of gravity really shifted about five months in. That was last June, and since then my poor bike has been collecting dust in the basement. That was until yesterday, when Matt gave it a tune-up, and then I actually rode it (you know, like outside and everything!). The weekend before I ran jogged a whole three miles at the clip of eleven minutes per mile. Not exactly a record, but it was the farthest I'd ran in months and months.

I'm calling it a comeback...

Henry's arrival was pretty rough on me. I am certain that without a c-section I would have died. It makes me a little sad to know I wouldn't have survived in the wild (not that I could really explain why that is to you), but I am quite grateful to be more or less unscathed thanks to the marvels of modern medicine.

That said, recovering from the surgery and its complications while learning how to care for a little baby was really difficult. But, I'm slowly starting to feel like my old self again (minus anything resembling abdominal muscles), and I am very glad for that. Life is just better when you can ride a bike.

Maybe soon Matt and I can stop having this exchange every two days*:

Me: You know, having a baby is so hard on your body.
Matt: You're the first woman to ever say that.
Me: Well it is...

* Just to be clear Matt has been nothing but sweet and wonderful, but realistically you only get to be a body-sacrficing martyr for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment